Annons:
Taggeneral
Read 1602 times
Evelina
2020-05-08 15:13

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

[

View this post on Instagram

](https://www.instagram.com/p/B_6qHnwgMeB/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading)

"I don't have a plan, I'm afraid, but then, no one really does, no matter what they say." ~Celeste Ng, Little Fires Everywhere - - - - From all the books I've read so far this year, Little Fires Everywhere was probably the biggest disappointment. I felt kind of manipulated by the novel, because it was made very clear that I was supposed to like Mia. Well, I don't appreciate being told who I should like or dislike. I'm capable of deciding that myself, thank you very much. In case you were wondering - I didn't like Mia at all. But what annoyed me even more, were all these extremely farfetched and utterly absurd coincidences. I truly don't understand why so many people seem to adore this novel… - - - - #littlefireseverywhere #fictionbooks #novels #fiction #fictionnovel #books #bookstagram #bookpic #booksandtea #boolsofinstagram #bookobsessed #booklover #bookhoarder #bookster #booknerd #instabooks #disappointingbooks #unpopularopinion

A post shared by Alex (@smalltownbookworm) on May 7, 2020 at 11:18pm PDT

I just started this book on audiobook after finishing The Nickel Boys yesterday. I’ve read that it has been turned into a miniseries on Hulu. I’m wondering how this suburban drama will play out. Have you read Little Fires Everywhere yet?? Here’s the synopsis: “From the bestselling author of Everything I Never Told You, a riveting novel that traces the intertwined fates of the picture-perfect Richardson family and the enigmatic mother and daughter who upend their lives. In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is planned—from the layout of the winding roads, to the colors of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules. Enter Mia Warren—an enigmatic artist and single mother—who arrives in this idyllic bubble with her teenaged daughter Pearl, and rents a house from the Richardsons. Soon Mia and Pearl become more than tenants: all four Richardson children are drawn to the mother-daughter pair. But Mia carries with her a mysterious past and a disregard for the status quo that threatens to upend this carefully ordered community. When old family friends of the Richardsons attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle erupts that dramatically divides the town—and puts Mia and Elena on opposing sides. Suspicious of Mia and her motives, Elena is determined to uncover the secrets in Mia’s past. But her obsession will come at unexpected and devastating costs. Little Fires Everywhere explores the weight of secrets, the nature of art and identity, and the ferocious pull of motherhood—and the danger of believing that following the rules can avert disaster.”

Annons:
Evelina
2020-05-08 15:19

Apparently the reviewer above didn’t feel Little Fires Everywhere lived up to its hype. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Niklas
2020-05-12 16:34

It sounds like something written for a mini-series. Come back with your verdict when you're done. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2020-05-12 17:36

So far, I am not thrilled. But it isn’t uninteresting.

Evelina
2020-05-16 11:42

I just finished this yesterday! I think it’s good for what it is, which is a suburban drama. I can see why it has been turned into a TV show.

Scroll to top
Annons: