Annons:
Tagfeminist
Read 1490 times
Evelina
2020-05-22 09:53

My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem

[

View this post on Instagram

](https://www.instagram.com/p/BSg5j3rg36w/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading)

⠀ “If you want people to listen to you, you have to listen to them. If you hope people will change how they live, you have to know how they live. If you want people to see you, you have to sit down with them eye-to-eye.”⠀ ~Gloria Steinem⠀ .⠀ @tinahirsig & I have Part 1 of our “One the Road” bookclub reflections up on our lauraTWOtina’s website. We shared our thoughts on talking circles, why our collaboration has lasted 10 years & our favorite “taxi cab” stories. Here is a link to the post: http://lauratwotina.com/?p=18851⠀ . #ArtCollaboration #LauraTwoTina #L2T #L2Tbookclub #gloriasteinem #mylifeontheroad #mylifeontheroadbygloriasteinem

A post shared by Laura Gaffke🌺 (@lauragaffke) on Apr 5, 2017 at 11:40am PDT

I grew interested in reading My Life On The Road by Gloria Steinem after becoming hooked on the Hulu series (also available on HBO), Mrs. America. Mrs. America is a miniseries based on real events following the movement to pass the Equal Rights Amendment, which took place during the 1970s. The series depicts how the conservative-led grassroots movement, with Phyllis Schlafly as its leader, challenged the ERA's ratification. The ERA had solid bipartisan Support previous to the anti-ERA movement. On the other side of the battle, was a group of prominent feminists and feminist politicians, such as Gloria Steinem, Betty Freidan, Jill Ruckelshaus, Shirley Chisholm, and Bella Abzug. I encourage you to watch the miniseries and read Gloria Steinem's book. New episodes come out on Wednesdays! Every week, I eagerly wait for a new episode. 😁 I especially loved the most recent episode, which is about the National Women’s Conference that took place in Houston in 1977. In Steinem’s book, she said that it was one of the most important things that ever happened that no one knows about.

[

View this post on Instagram

](https://www.instagram.com/p/B7zDeq4ndVa/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading)

First book of 2020 ✔️: @gloriasteinem ‘s My Life on the Road … … My Life on the Road is the moving, funny, and profound story of Gloria’s growth and also a growth of the revolutionary movement for equality— and the story of how surprising encounters on the road shaped both. From her first experience of social activism among women in India to her work as a journalist in the 1960s; from the whirlwind of political campaigns to the founding of Ms. magazine; from the historic 1977 National Women’s Conference to her travels through Indian country— a lifetime spent on the road allowed Gloria to listen and connect deeply with people, to understand that context is everything, and to become part of a movement that would change the world. … … “When people ask me why I still have hope and energy after all these years, I always say: Because I travel. Taking on the road— by which I mean letting the road take you— changed who I thought I was. The road is messy in the way that real life is messy. It leads us out of denial and into reality, out of theory and into practice, out of caution and into action, out of statistics and into stories— in short, out of our heads and into our hearts.” … … I don’t think there’s any one way to describe this book. It makes you think. It’s beautiful. It’s raw. I’m glad I chose it as my first book for 2020. Let’s crush this year.

A post shared by Brianna 🌿 (@briannalambert._) on Jan 26, 2020 at 1:20pm PST

Annons:
Scroll to top
Annons: